Phil Running Through 2018

Sometime late in 2017 I made the decision to try and run a 5k every day in 2018.  Inspired by friends who were running one a month, and others who run much more than that.  Little did I know the challenge that lay ahead.

Day 1: (don't worry, we won't rehash all of them...)

New Years Day in beautiful Cradle Mountain, Tasmania.  Early morning run in a truly spectacular setting, with a monster hangover.  Great plan!  But it can only get better from here right?
New Years Eve.  What could possibly go wrong with running 5k the next morning!
Cradle Mountain, Tasmania.  Not a bad spot for a run (minus the hangover)
The next big obstacle was the Audax 140km bike ride in the mountains outside of Bright.  An early morning climb up Mt. Buffalo and then decending back to Bright before 2 more climbs up the front and back of Tawonga Gap. After a long day in the saddle there was still a run to do.  Not my fastest, but still ticked the legs over and got it done. 

Once you build a bit of momentum, it definitely is motivation to keep going.  Soon days turn into weeks. Weeks into months. Before you know it, you've run 180 in a row.  Now the fun part.  How to keep the streak alive before a 14 hour flight to the USA...  Up at 4am on less than 3 hours sleep and hit the pavement.  Land in L.A. and drive for a few hours into the mountains outside of Fresno to spend some relaxing time up at Sequoia Lake.  Get all unpacked and head out for a run.  Oh yeah, Sequoia Lake is at 5300ft (1628m) above sea level.  Running at altitude was something that I had forgotten about.  Especially since there isn't a flat road to run on, so it was lots of ups and downs.  At one point I was running on an old fire road and I looked down and saw more bear tracks than foot prints.  Probably best to turn around...
Sequoia Lake.  Another beautiful spot for run.  Even the bears agree.
Lungs should be good for a run after a hike up to 10,000 ft Mitchel Peak
After a few days of relaxing, hiking, and catching up with Suzannah's family, we headed to Cleveland, Ohio for a friends wedding.  Cleveland in July is not known for its mild temperatures.  This was the first time that all of our San Diego friends have seen each other in several years.  Our dear friends who moved to Michigan even made the trip down to spend some time with us (Thanks I.J and Laila!) From all corners of the globe, we descended on Cleveland for a 3 day wedding event.  It was hot. Damn hot. We danced in parking lots, attended and Indians game, and (most of all) had an amazing time with our dear friends.  Through several hangovers and blistering heat, the streak continued.  I was now over halfway through.
One day of the 3-day wedding
From there it was onto Breckenridge, Colorado to spend some time with my amazing parents, sisters, my BIL, and my adorable nieces and nephews.  Breckenridge is a ski town, so that means we are back at elevation.  Well almost double elevation of Sequoia at 9600ft (2926m).  To say the air is thin, is like saying that water is wet.  LOTS of ups and downs, but had an amazing run across the dam in Steamboat surrounded by amazing mountains.
Running in Littleton, Colorado

Running across the dam

Now to fly home and upon landing, get out and run. Happy to be back in winter, sea level, and on familiar paths.

A lot goes through your mind when you have nothing but pavement ahead of you.  It is cathartic.  You fall into a familiar rhythm and are able to put away all of the thoughts for the day.  You learn to just breathe and see what your body is telling you.  Very few times did I ever start out trying to run a time.  It was more about "ok legs, what do you feel like doing today".  In April I ran a sub 25.  In June I ran a PB of 22.31. Each run was an adventure.  I started out with headphones, but after a few months i ditched them in favour of just running.  It was my "me time".  I could have all sorts of internal arguments, plan the next day, or put today behind me.

In October I ran the Melbourne marathon, and I ran the day after. Every day was another chance to prove to myself that I could do it.  I said I was going to do it, and every day I had to keep that promise to myself that I was going to make it.
Finishing the Melbourne Marathon
There were a few days of hail, some rain, darkness, idiots blocking the sidewalk, altitude, alcohol, bugs, dogs, traffic, headaches, knee aches, and self doubt.  But in the end, I did it. Averaging 35.2km per week and not missing a single day in 2018.  365 consecutive days of running.

It was an adventure that I will never forget.  As we move into 2019 the goal is to keep going as long as my body will allow.  Hoping to run 50k (31 miles) a week and keep the streak going.
Gotta celebrate #365!
The steak dinner at the end is worth it.


Comments

  1. Good for you man. We might need to start calling you Forest. ;) We probably drove as many miles as you ran in our travels and cross country drives this past year. That’s like basically the same right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Sleep Until Citizenship!

Baw Baw Blog

Missy and Emily's Tassie Trip - Freycinet National Park