Scrappy Crane Quilt

A few months ago I stumbled upon this adorable quilt on Pinterest:


I'm not very good at making quilts on demand.  My brain needs time to process the fabric and pattern and I have to see that light bulb go off in my head before I start the next project.  

I received a jelly roll of Asian fabrics for Christmas, and one morning a few weeks ago I woke up knowing what that roll of fabric needed to become.  I started sewing the strips together 4 at a time and then cut them into strips.  I kept sewing and cutting until I had an entire quilt top of pieced 2.5" squares.



Once the top was done it was time to think about the backing.  I had purchased a few meters of this black print a few weeks ago because it was on sale for $4/meter, an almost unheard of price in Australia.  I knew I'd find a use for it some day but it turned out to be perfect for this project.  I knew I wanted to do something similar to the elephants on the original quilt but I wasn't convinced elephants really went with Asian fabric.  



So strangely enough, I asked my husband if he had any ideas and he suggested cranes.  Perfect.  He enlarged a paper pieced crane pattern I had and I cut out 3 from a floral print my mom bought me and pieced some squares for the other crane.


I quilted it with gold thread and the metallic really finishes it off perfectly.  


Even the cats approve.  Of course, they've never met a piece of fabric they haven't liked.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Sleep Until Citizenship!

Baw Baw Blog

Missy and Emily's Tassie Trip - Freycinet National Park