Calisthenics

We had never heard of Calisthenics before moving to Australia - I don't imagine most Americans have.  But we have a friend here who is part of a competitive team here and we were curious to see what it involved so we finally went and saw her club concert.  I grew up doing tap, clog, and jazz, so I am no stranger to dance recitals.  It wasn't just dance though, it also had a bit of marching band - or maybe colorguard as there were no instruments - baton twirling, rhythmic gymnastics, and lyrical ballet.  

There were six different groups, the tinies (under 7), sub-juniors (aka subs, 8-10), juniors (11-13, intermediates (aka inters, 14-16), seniors (16+), and masters (26+).  The tinies were adorable - the 3 little girls who stood around picking up sequins off the stage while the rest of their group danced stole the show.  There were also a couple girls who did solo routines, but probably 38 of the 42 performances were the groups.  Each group did several different items - a march, clubs, free arm, rods, aesthetics, rhythm, and song and dance.  

I really enjoyed the marches - there was a mix of high marching, pointed toes, pinwheels, and various other formations - all to upbeat marching tempos.  The clubs reminded me of rhythmic gymnastics - each person carried two club things and twirled them around.  My dance group once did a routine with poi balls and the movements reminded me of that.  
The March Costumes
Free arm was basically a gymnastic routine with splits, headstands, cartwheels, and a few flips.  I thought it was interesting how people would join the group in the middle of a routine or leave the stage at some point.  I was the girl who couldn't do splits or a head stand to save my life - so if I had done calisthenics I'd definitely be in the group that left stage when that part of the routine happened.  Rods were long skinny sticks, kind of like a baton but skinnier and the movements were slower.  I think American baton twirlers could show the calisthenics girls a thing or two with flaming batons!
Free Arm
Baton
Aesthetics involves wearing long flowy skirts and twirling them around.  This one appealed most to most inner 5 year old - I would have loved twirling around in those long pretty dresses.  Rhythm was similar to aesthetics but a bit more complicated.  
State Championship
It was fun to see this uniquely Australian sport.  The girls must spent hours and hours practicing and I don't imagine all of those costumes were cheap.  It sure took me back to those years spent in makeup, curlers, and sequins!  
My clogging group from back in the day :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baw Baw Blog

One Sleep Until Citizenship!

Missy and Emily's Tassie Trip - Freycinet National Park