Anita & Bob's Big Fat Indian Wedding - Sangeet

I must confess that I had to change the title of the last post to Anita and Bob's Big Fat Indian Wedding.  Because yes it was Bob's wedding too, but also because it was so wonderful to see how not just Bob but his entire family fully embraced the traditions of Anita's family.  It was truly a wedding about two families coming together.

Day two of the extravaganza was the Sangeet.  It's basically like having the reception before the ceremony - one big dance party.  We knew our usual wedding outfits wouldn't suffice, so my Sri Lankan coworker gave me some pointers and directed me to the Little India in Dandenong.  She said the more colour and bling the better, so we jumped in the deep end and went with it.  Phil got a Kurta - the long tunic - and I found a Lehanga that I loved.  My coworker said I needed a lot of jewellery, so I found the biggest matching green earrings I could find and a Maanga Tikka hair ornament to match. Our friends all clearly got the same memo and came decked out in beautiful Indian outfits with lots of bright colours and bling.
Lots of beautiful Indian outfits
Jeremey, Missy, a very proud Papa Rai, Phil, and me
Our spoils from Little India in Dandenong
More bright colours
First up was a feast of delicious Indian food.  I don't know what was in most of it, but the spices were so good.  
Pointing to my favourite so I can find it again at a restaurant
After the eating came the dancing.  Some of us had been roped into learning dances via youtube videos by Anita's sister.  It was a bit nerve racking, but my years of tap dance lessons taught me that if you just smile and pretend you know what you're doing no one will know the difference.
Lori, me, and Jessica showing off some dance moves
Time for a celebratory drink and picture after getting the dance out of the way
Several more groups of friends did dances, and then Anita's family and Bob's family both came out and showed us how things are really done.  They both sat at the corner of the dance floor front and centre to enjoy the spectacle.
The bride's family dancing
Bob's family then came out, along with Bob with a huge smile on his face.  That was a surprise for Anita that he joined in too.  They did a wonderful job.
Anita and Bob dancing
After the choreographed dances everyone came out to the dance floor and tried their hand at Indian dance moves.  Then came the more main stream songs until our feet couldn't handle anymore.  Good thing we got to sleep in the next morning before the Day 3 Grand Finale!

Me and Anita

Heading back to the hotel after a fun night


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baw Baw Blog

One Sleep Until Citizenship!

Missy and Emily's Tassie Trip - Freycinet National Park